Sunday, April 25, 2010

Fishlake Meadows, Romsey

25th April 2010
I spent the evening at this excellent site just north of Romsey in an attempt to find some of the summer arrivals we'd missed from being in Turkey. It's an excellent spot for Warblers, and I managed to catch up with numerous Blackcaps, a few Sedge Warblers, and many singing Willow Warblers and Chiffchaffs.

Most encouragingly, though, I heard at least 10 Cetti's Warblers. Cetti's Warblers are resident in Britain and there are doubts as to how well they managed to survive the cold winter.

Another major target here was Hobby, and as dusk approached I had excellent views of 2, including 1 perched up nicely in a tree. It was a good day for raptors, and I also picked up Sparrowhawk, Buzzards and Kestrels. There were hirundines aplenty - the sky was alive with Swallows, House Martins and the odd Sand Martin. An overflying Little Egret was noted, and on the open patches of water I had Shovelers, Tufted Ducks, Gadwalls, Great Crested Grebes and Malards.

The Orange Tip pictured here was my first of the year.

A Cuckoo started singing as I returned to the car. Bring on more spring birding

No comments:

Post a Comment

BUBO Listing www.bubo.org