Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day 6 - First Lifer

Awoke early this morning to explore the Causses Mejean, a large expanse of steppe land above the Tarn and Jonte. The narrow road had all my attention on the ascent, but once it flattened out I could begin to take note of the bird life. A party of 20 vultures floated over. 19 were Griffons...



Not that this rushed photo is too clear, but the twentieth was this fine Monk Vulture, one of the handful of reintroduced birds struggling for a foothold here in the Cevennes.

The searing heat meant that the Causses were fairly quiet, though I did find plenty of Tree Pipits, a Tawny Pipit, 2 singing Woodlarks and 2 Red-backed Shrikes (adult and juv) fairly quickly. The scenery was pretty nice as well. Reminded me of Gladiator.



Continuing onto the village of Le Buffre, a clown like bird flitted across the road in front of me. It was my first Hoopoe of the trip. It didn't hang around for long, but from the same spot I had Red-legged Partridge and a few Northern Wheatears.

Outside the tiny hamlet of Hures, I saw some strange looking birds in a patch of brambles. I stopped the car and got the bins out but could only manage fleeting views, not enough to confirm i.d. Luckily, one perched up on a post for a while, before starting to peck around for ants in the fields close to the car.



Unbelievable - a family party of Wrynecks. I certainly wasn't expecting to see them up here.

Satisfied with the mornings birds, I bashed on to Florac to set up camp and explore Mont Lozere, an area which had the potential to provide the first lifer of the trip. I drove up to the Col de Finiels, left the car, and headed towards the summit of Mont Lozere. I was pretty pessimistic to be honest - middle of the afternoon, windy and hot, and nothing was singing. So when two of these blighters popped out of the conifers, I couldn't believe my luck.



Finally thanks to these Citril Finches, I had my first lifer of the trip. They breed only above 1500 metres usually, so Lozere (1560m) is perhaps one of the only places in the Cevennes to find them. Though I heard Crossbills and some Crests, there was very little else up there bird-wise. Plenty more butterflies and flowers, including this 'some sort of Orchid possibly' haha.



New birds today: Monk Vulture, Woodlark, Goldcrest, Crossbill, CITRIL FINCH, Northern Wheatear, Wryneck

Butterflies: tbd after book consultation

No comments:

Post a Comment

BUBO Listing www.bubo.org