Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Puerto Vallarta - El Quelele

I got a chance to visit El Quelele, a lagoon mentioned in Howell's 'Where to watch birds in Mexico'. The track leading from the highway to the lagoon (signposted to the Crocodile Restaurant) was really productive. Common and Ruddy Ground Doves were on the track and the nearby vegetation. Also there were some fine Blue Grosbeaks


And the odd Groove-billed Ani...



A gorgeous tiny Tropical Parula flicked along a bit of swamp, but my favourite of all were a flock of Dickcissels, posing wonderfully in the morning Sun.



I finally reached the Laguna, and was immediately into a huge mixed flock of White Ibis and Snowy Egret.





A Black-crowned Night Heron and some Great Egrets were around as well. And soon I was into my 8th Heron of the trip, as this Striated Heron stalked along a board-walk.


Unfortunately the Laguna itself held too much water for the large flocks of waders that can sometimes be found here. I had to settle for Whimbrel, Belted Kingfisher, Tricoloured Heron, and Black-bellied Whistling Duck.

I asked the guy if it was possible to walk around the Lagoon. No chance, he told me, too many crocodiles!!

The walk back to the main road was still productive, though - the highlights being great views of Gray Hawk and Common Black-hawk.






No comments:

Post a Comment

BUBO Listing www.bubo.org