Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Waxwing Bonanza in Balham

Much as freezing cold weather brings travel chaos to many, so it brings Waxwings to London. No problems for these guys to do a bit of international commuting around Christmas.

The flock has been reported around Balham for the last week now, with numbers ranging between 20 and 80 (peak count). I had about 50 this morning and even saw 3 near Clapham Common tube when I nipped out for my morning coffee.

Although the light wasn't great I managed to do a good bit of paparazzi before having a quick walk across the common. I met four other birders down at the Waxwing tree this morning and we got some strange looks I can tell you. Highlights of the day include:

1) Being invited in for a "coffee" by a young lady who could see them from her window. The proposition theme starting to emerge now on the back of Xander's layby offering by the French trucker..... - hot.

2) Some posh t**ts taking the piss on their way to work - idiots.

3) One of the birders being a bit overly keen to take a dead Waxwing home in his rucksack - macabre.

Here are some shots.....

This poor guy must have broken his neck after hitting a window, but was a good weight suggesting he was well fed. Apparently, 5th year male. One tip of pink "wax" for every year on the males.



The bad light left some exposure issues which I started to work round. 





The Waxxys were joined by some Mistle Thrush and Blackbirds.




Quick walk on the Common got me a Skylark - a pretty big tick for Clapham and certainly one of my top birds of SW4.


Some classic geese of the pond; Greylag, Canada and Egyptian. 




Good gull numbers: BH, H, LBB and Common.




Back to the Berry Tree and the birds dropped in quickly. 







"Art" birding





Finally two shots I am very happy with.......



Suspect they'll be around until the berries are gone so Jonty and Xander have a "chance" on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BUBO Listing www.bubo.org