Sunday, March 13, 2011

Returning Waders and Singing Desert Birds

I returned to the rapidly declining Presa Centenario this morning to scan the waders with my scope. On the shores of the main body of water, I had Least Sandpipers, Black-necked Stilts and 1 American Avocet and a few Spotted Sands. I relocated a wader-filled small pool and crept closer. As well as more Leasts and Stilts, it held 8 Long-billed Dowitchers, 6 Wilson's Phalaropes, 6 Stilt Sandpipers (whose feeding styles made a nice comparison with the Dowitchers), and 1 Baird's Sandpiper - not a bad haul.

Riding back through the desert scrub I had singing Mockingbirds, Cactus Wrens and Curve-billed Thrashers, who make a surprisingly pleasant noise for such a grim-looking bird!


Curve-billed Thrasher, Tequisquiapan

Cactus Wren




Vermilion Flycatcher and Yellow-rumped Warbler

No comments:

Post a Comment

BUBO Listing www.bubo.org