Sunday, July 10, 2011

Cerro Grande and beyond

A friend and I walked up one of the large mountains East of Tequisquiapan on Friday. It amazed me how quickly the avifauna changed once I had gained some altitude and left the town well behind. Here were birds you wouldn't dream of seeing in Tequis - 5 species of Hummingbird, for example, including Violet-crowned and Broad-billed low down, and then hordes of Magnificent further up, together with White-eared and the brilliant agave-loving Lucifer Hummingbirds.

Singing Canyon Towhees everywhere,and, even better, singing Spotted Towhee (Rufous-sided). Still better, another lifer, a Black-chinned Sparrow, blasting away from the top of a bush. A first-winter Black-headed Grosbeak was another surprise here, and I had 2 American Robins.

More regular fare came in the way of Golden-fronted Peckers everywhere, Northern Ravens, Turkey Vultures, Vermilion Flycatchers, Canyon and Cactus Wrens.

Unfortunately, we walked at a pretty fast pace, so I couldn't take in everything. Undoubtedly, if i return here this week and spend more time, I will see a lot more. What a find!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BUBO Listing www.bubo.org