Sunday, March 17, 2013

Spring Survey

I was out around Presa Centenario this morning to count the waders.  Although water levels were low, there was a chance of return passage bringing in some decent birds.

No spectacular numbers, but I still recorded the following:

Least Sandpiper 264

Killdeer 25

Long-billed Dowitcher 47

Black-necked Stilt 9

American Avocet 1

Spotted Sandpiper 6

Western Sandpiper 5

Wilson's Phalarope 11

Semipalmated Plover 1

My highlight was a Wilson's Phalarope in what was very close to full summer plumage - an absolutely stunning individual, and of all the thousands of Wilson's I've seen, the first one I've seen in it's breeding outfit.  Great stuff.

Thousands of Northern Shovelers remain at the Presa, with all the males in full breeding plumage.  It can't be long now before they head back up north.

Although the Presa is running unnecessarily and absurdly low, there remains more water than at a similar time last year (http://hileybirding.blogspot.mx/2011/03/presa-centenario-dried-up.html).  At the current rate of draining, however, I doubt there will be much left by the time I get back from Easter.

Let's hope they leave some water there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BUBO Listing www.bubo.org