Friday, April 5, 2013

Migration Watch - Los Sabinos

My landlady had been keeping the feeding station topped up whilst I was away in England.  When I returned, things were absolutely kicking off.

Spending the afternoon in the garden yesterday, I had a brilliant selection of species..

The highlights were 3 species that I hadn't seen before in the state, never mind in the garden.  Firstly, two true migrants - a Yellow-breasted Chat and an Orchard Oriole.  These species must have been passing through on their way north to breeding grounds in the U.S.A.

Perhaps even better was a Rufous-backed Robin coming down to a drink.  This species is a West Mexican endemic, and it's range is nowhere near Queretaro.  What was it doing here?  Will it stick around?

I fired off some awful record shots which I'll upload tomorrow.

Also knocking around:
6 Abeille's Orioles,
2 Hooded Orioles,
Broad-billed and Violet-crowned Hummingbirds,
Clay-coloured Robin,
Audubon's Warbler,
House Sparrows,
Lincoln's Sparrow,
Starlings,
2 Golden-fronted Woodpecker,
1 Western Tanager,
1 White-collared Seedeater,
White-winged Doves,
Barn Swallows,
1 Wilson's Warbler.

I need to spend more time in the garden over the next few weeks to see what else passes through, that is for sure.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting your obs on the Rufous Backed Robin Jonty....I saw several in a Mexico City park two weeks ago and another feeeding close to a hedgerow by the 19th hole at San Gil but for only one day so maybe they are more widespread than previously thought. Beautiful birds especially close-up.

    ReplyDelete

BUBO Listing www.bubo.org