Monday, August 30, 2010

Grackle Roost..part 2

I stumbled out of La Luna bar at about midnight on Saturday and headed to the cash machine in the opposite corner of the plaza. Despite having entered the roost 4 hours earlier, the Grackles were far from tucked up quietly in bed. They were still squabbling, and as I got closer, it became apparent that it wasn't just Grackles in there. The lower branches of the trees were crawling with Bronzed Cowbirds, House Sparrows and god only knows what else.

Not a pleasant place to be at all, and it was about to get a whole lot worse. A ghostly apparition appeared, silently flying out from the middle of the roost and heading up towards the cathedral. I thought that I must have had one cerveza too many, until I realised that, of all things, it was a Barn Owl clutching a dead young Grackle in its talons.

Bonkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BUBO Listing www.bubo.org