Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Shorebird Spectacle

I bribed a taxi driver to take me through the flood waters to the beach on Saturday afternoon. Definitely worth it! Was rewarded with close views of some gorgeous waders.


A group of Sanderling were busy scuttling up and down a stretch of shoreline. They were quite tame, and I wanted to get as close as possible. I used the classic birders army crawl, a technique popularised by X-man and Ray Mysterio. Ended up with a sandy belly, but some pretty nice shots.


It wasn't just Sanderlings in town. This mouse-like Semipalmated Sandpiper kept probing along the shoreline.


A graceful Black-bellied Plover posed in the evening light.

By now, I was starting to perfect the art of another type of close approach - slow and steady, and using the telescope as a screen.

This Least Sandpiper is easily identifiable by its yellow legs, the only 'Peep' with this feature.


Last but not least was the Willet - in more appropriate surroundings than the last one I had far inland at La Presa.


No comments:

Post a Comment

BUBO Listing www.bubo.org