Thursday, September 23, 2010

Veracruz - Best of the Rest

Raptor migration might have been thin on the ground, but when this little Yellow-throated Warbler dropped onto the roof of the Hotel, it confirmed that there was movement of kinds! My first American Wood Warbler, and what a cracker.


Being close to the sea, I also managed to drop into a few terns, and my first Gulls of Mexico. Firstly, in the immediate aftermath of the storm, I picked up some mixed flocks of Sandwich and Sooty Terns right in the town centre. Ridiculous. Some of the juvenile Sootys were superb. I had better views at the coast at Playa Chachalacas, though, and managed to snap this winter plumaged Sanger.


Not far away was the Laughing Gull.



On the Saturday, critters were plentiful. From the hotel alone, I scoped Social Flycatchers, Blue-Grey Tanagers, Yellow-winged Tanagers and Baltimore Orioles. Down by the Rio Antigua, I managed Band-backed Wrens, Altamira Oriole, Yellow Warbler, Rose-throated Becards and Great Kiskadees. Over the river, Barn Swallows hawked with Bank Swallows, Northern Rough-winged Swallows and White-collared Swifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BUBO Listing www.bubo.org