Thursday, September 23, 2010

Stream of Raptors

Though I was happy with my shorebird photos, they weren't the main attraction of Veracruz. I was there to see raptors. The hurricane meant most of Friday was a wash out, but during a brief evening lull, I managed a walk around Cardel and the nearby village of La Antigua.

Firstly, a falcon dashed over my head alongside the Rio Antigua, not dissimilar to a Hobby. This was a right bonus. I knew Aplomado Falcon's were in the area, but catching up with one was by no means a guarantee.

Further down river, some Turkey Vultures took to the skies. Amongst them were a few different birds, though - the first of many Black Vultures. Don't confuse these boys with Monk Vultures from Europe. The Monks are a lot bigger, and a lot rarer.

A loud squawk alerted me to a large Raptor tucking into a Swallow by the side of the road. That gave me a clue to it's ID. Only managed a poor photo of this male Roadside Hawk.

Next up was a raptor I was altogether more familiar with. A large bird sitting atop a bare tree over a lake. Could only be one thing. Osprey.

The day after the Hurricane, I set up shop atop the Hotel Bienvenido in Cardel. Unfortunately, the Pronatura group that are normally there every day were still stranded by the flood waters, so I was flying solo. A large flock of birds thermalling at about 10 o'clock got me thinking that the River had started in earnest. Unfortunately, though, closer inspection revealed a bunch of resident Black Vultures. Rubbish.

More encouraging was a slow movement of Peregrines. 3 circled and continued south early doors. I picked out 2 Broad-winged Hawks during the morning, but where were the rest, and where were the thousands of Mississippi Kites? It soon became apparent that, as a result of Karl, this wasn't the best day for raptor watching.

Before heading down to the beach, I gambled on a last minute scan grenade. Result. Picked out a juvenile Grey Hawk perched up. Note the Grackle in background.

The next day, the Pronatura group turned up, and it was good to finally meet some fellow birders in Mexico! I only had an hour before I had to catch the bus, though, and it was only long enough to pick up a trickle of Ospreys.

Never mind. I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BUBO Listing www.bubo.org