Sunday, October 17, 2010

El Sauz Yomp

Had a fine evening yomp around the Hinterland at sunset yesterday. What a stunning place.


Bird-wise it wasn't bad either. The onset of October has brought a noticeable number of winter visitors into Queretaro. Yellow-rumped Warblers seem to be everywhere (and have indeed joined my garden list) and I've noticed more and more American Kestrels. I was just getting close to this one when a male Peregrine buzzed it.


Kestrels, Peregrines, I could have been in rainy England! Things got even more nostalgic when I saw the familiar shape of a large raptor quartering the farmland.



White patch at the base of the tail.. this was a ring-sting all right! Over on this side of the pond, we call it the Northern Harrier let me tell you. Its the same species that graces our coasts in winter back in blighty though.

It was a superb weekend for raptors, as you'll find out reading tomorrow's blog!

The usual critters were knocking about as well. King-pin, Loggerhead, G.F.W. etc.. The final highlight, though, caught me surprise. I was enjoying the sunset when a loud whoosh boomed through the air. I looked up, and this is what I saw..



Just a few thousand Red-winged Blackbirds. What a good do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BUBO Listing www.bubo.org