Monday, October 18, 2010

La Presa comes up trumps again

I was up early yesterday, keen to get in a big morning of birding having decided against another Veracruz visit. The mornings are cold and misty now, and La Presa was particularly eerie when I arrived there at 8 a.m.
Yankee Coots and Blue-winged Teals ghosted across the shallows.



Barn Swallows hunkered down. No insects to hunt in these conditions. It wasn't too dissimilar to Lac du Der in October actually. The difference here, though, was that I knew the Sun would be pumping down some serious heat within a few hours.

It duly obliged, creating a glorious scene of morning mist rising from the Reservoir against a stunning mountainous backdrop.


As the mist cleared, the dots on the reservoir materialised into Shovelers by the thousand, Ruddy Ducks, Eared Grebes, Mexican Ducks and Wilson's Phalaropes.

This morning was all about critters and raptors, though. The arrival of this years winter visitors has brought with it the prospect of lifers. The Res, as is its wont, didn't disappoint. Lark Sparrows were abundant, but within their large flocks were several smaller sparrows. One perched up long enough for me to get the camera on it. Sibley informed me I was looking at Clay-coloured Sparrows.

Further down, a couple of small passerines hopped along the waters edge, tails bobbing in the manner of Wagtails. I knew straight away that these were American Pipits, lifer number 2.

Well pleased with the first hours work I stopped for a birders breakfast of bread roll and water. A male and female Peregrine chased each other over the water to entertain me as I ate - the first of 6 species of raptor I picked up.

The first post-lunch lifer came in the form of a Savannah Sparrow perched up in a corn field, another widespread winter visitor to these parts. I saw 4 more throughout the morning.


At the back of the reservoir were some flooded fields, holding 30 Cattle Egrets and a similar number of Kildeer. I was more interested in what took off above them, though - a fine Crested Caracara. Before long I realised I was in raptor central. The Caracara first flushed an American Kestrel and then disturbed a White-tailed Kite from a distant bare tree. Then all of a sudden there were 3 new raptors in the sky - 2 Turkey Vultures circling with a Red-tailed Hawk
The flurry of bird of prey activity didn't distract me from the scrub, though. I was picking out Gnatcatchers and Y.R. Warblers by the dozen. A clicking from a nearby clump of reeds really aroused my attention, though. I knew something was in there but it wasn't showing. There was only one thing for it. I got in there myself, and soon found myself face to face with a tiny Marsh Wren. Good views of a difficult to see bird.

As the path ran out ahead of me I realised it was time to head back. Eyes to the skies I added Lesser Yellowlegs, Pintail, Cactus Wren and Golden-fronted Woodpecker to the daylist. The morning still held one more surprise, though. This fine Northern Mockingbird alighted on a nearby thorn bush to become the 5th lifer of the day.



The birding gods were certainly smiling on me. I hope they continue to do so for my half term visit to Vallarta in a few weeks!







No comments:

Post a Comment

BUBO Listing www.bubo.org