Sunday, October 10, 2010

Raptor 51

Went out for a jog around the El Sauz hinterland this evening. Just before I went out, I was faced with a classic birders' dilemna. Should I take the camera or not? Taking it would hinder my run, but if I left it I was sure to miss an excellent photo op.

Made the wrong decision! Shortly into the run, I picked up a small falcon on top of a telegraph post. The route took us right by it, and as I reached the pole, the falcon stayed right there, basking in some glorious evening Sun. I knew that I was looking at career raptor number 51, a fine male American Kestrel, winter visitor in these parts. I was glad, of course, that views were good enough to confirm a lifer, but was cursing that I'd left my camera behind - it would have made a lovely shot.

Birds were everywhere this evening actually. Cassin's Kingbirds squaked away from every tree, and there were large numbers of White-winged and Mourning Doves dashing around the place. Over Club de Golf at about 5 p.m. I noted a nice passage of 200 Barn Swallows.

Back at home, I had the scant consolation of being able to take a pic of this Curve-billed Thrasher on his favourite perch.

Hoping the Yankee Kes will remain in the Hinterland all winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment

BUBO Listing www.bubo.org