Friday, April 1, 2011

Bonanza of Birding (Israel Part 4)

More raptor migration with LLB and SB going over in their hundreds by now - while a low flying Long Legged gave me some chances for action shots.



A distant Sparrowhawk followed by Marsh Harrier and then another Steppe Eagle thermalling with Steppe Buzzard for size comparison. 




Probably the best thing about Eilat birding is the proximity of all the birds. Stepping out of the hotel into the nearest gardens at 3 o'clock in the afternoon I filled my boots in about half an hour. 

Flocks of migrant Yellow Wag (mostly black headed race). Water Pipit and Isabelline Wheatear + probably 50 each of Chiffchaff and Lesser Whitethroat. 



I bumped into a couple of Finnish birders who said they'd had a Cyprus Warbler earlier. I couldn't locate but dropped into a nice Rueppel's - self found good warbler was nice. I almost paralysed myself with warbler neck as I papped him high up in the trees feeding with some blackcap and lesser whites.


No comments:

Post a Comment

BUBO Listing www.bubo.org