Monday, May 17, 2010

The Clown

I'm not much of a twitcher, but when I logged onto BirdGuides at work and saw a Hoopoe had been showing well right on my route home, the temptation was too great.



I had a small window between leaving work at 4 and getting back for a Tesco delivery at 5, so headed down to Broomy Plain for with a strict time limit imposed upon me.



Woodford Bottom is yet another lovely spot in the New Forest and as soon as I got out of the car there were Siskins calling in the trees above a small stream.


Fortunately I didn't have to wait long for the Hoopoe. A local pointed me in the right direction and as I was heading across the heath I caught the colourful round wings as it flew right in front of me, before settling down to feed amongst the bracken.

Would have happily watched this fella all day. The Hoopoe is a classic bird of Southern Europe where it is fairly common. They don't usually make it to these shores, though, - the odd ones that do turn up in Britain are known as overshoot migrants and are always a welcome addition to our more regular spring visitors

No comments:

Post a Comment

BUBO Listing www.bubo.org