Monday, May 10, 2010

Gropper comes a cropper !

An early start yesterday to the "Montagne de Montenoy" 20km or so south of Amiens. At this site last year I had great views of a family of Melodious Warbler, Turtle Dove and Hen Harrier. Eager to see a similar selection I was immediately brought back down to earth by a layer of fog allowing views of no more 20 metres ! Not much showing early doors, the highlight "some sort of orchid" and a few stonechat.



The fog eventually cleared up to give me good views of Tree Pipit and Yellowhammer. Warblers included Whitethroat, Blackcap and the target bird - Melodious Warbler. Rubbish views but same place as last year and distinctive call.




With Melodious in the bag I headed to a nice little reserve just outside of Amiens. An early exchange with a bird-ringer got me pretty excited - he'd had a couple of Bluethroat, Grasshopper and Savi's Warbler ! It wasn't long before I was into Garden Warbler, Reed Bunting, Cuckoo, Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff.




Nightingales sung almost constantly but never showed. I then heard the classic reeling of Grasshopper Warbler coming from deep within the scrub! Not patient enough to wait for it to show I decided to do some stalking through the marshes only to struck by some severe "trenchfoot" - another classic birding ailment! The blighter did eventually show and I managed the following pic as proof. Not much but nice to get at least some half-decent views of the little skulker.



To finish I eventually managed to pin down a singing Nightingale and heard a Golden Oriole singing in what I had previously remarked on as being perfect habitat. Locate the golden O - maybe my next challenge !


















1 comment:

BUBO Listing www.bubo.org