Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Sailly Bray 19th May 2010

With a nice sunny day in prospect I made a dawn start at my favourite spring-time spot - Sailly Bray and the Baie de Somme. I knew that this would be my last proper day's birding before heading to the UK at the end of the month so I was more than keen to make the most of it. My mission - "Bag the Bluethroat"! Having dipped a fortnight ago I was eager to nail it this time round.




Arriving at about 6:45am I was met by the usual singing Sedge Warblers. The rising sun gave nice ambient light and the birds were more obliging at this time of day.




I added many of the area's commoner species: Blackcap, Whitethroat, Yellowhammer... This Shelduck trio flew around warily. This area is heavily shot over in autumn. They eventually settled on one of the pools.





Without further ado I headed to the same spot where I'd had glimpses of Bluethroat last year. No immediate signs although plenty of activity. A Cetti's warbler called loudly but never showed as did a Grasshopper Warbler. I had pairs of Reed and Sedge Warblers and decent views of this male Reed Bunting.




This water vole basked in the morning sun before spotting me and scarpering into the reeds.

A strange clicking sound coming from dense in the undergrowth led me to put in some serious stalking in hope of finding the culprit... At least half an hour after, bingo! I spotted this female Bluethroat skulking at the foot of a hawthorn bush. I only got a fleeting view but was well happy with the start to the day.
Hungry for more I set off to another known Bluethroat site. However this included crossing a marsh where a herd of Highland Cattle were busy grazing. Not undeterred I set about reaching a patch of scrub about 100 metres away. As I got closer the previously harmless-looking cows started to look altogether less harmless. They started to make a B-line for me and gathered some pace. Not wanting to stick around I bailed out with an army-style roll under a barbed wire fence. Cows, along with Chavs, angry dogs and honking cars, are one the real scurges of birding...!



Next stop was Crécy Forest, a huge expanse of mature woodland not far from the coast. Reports suggest that Honey Buzzard is regular and there is a chance of Black Woodpecker...


Straight away this Spotted Flycather could be seen flitting around the car park. Not a bad start !
Things got better as this Turtle Dove gave itself away with its cat-like purring coming from the forest canopy. I didn't want to disturb this secretive bird so settled for this distant-view.
The forest was alive with commoner birds including Blackcap, Woodpigeon, Blue and Great Tits and Great-spotted Woodpecker. The seemingly ever-present Garden Warbler showed brilliantly for me. I also got Tree Pipit and heard Wood Warbler.
A stroll around a woodland at this time of year is a real pleasure. In addition to the bird life the forest floor was full of flowers and different butterflies.
After completing a 4km loop I was hungry to get back to the Bray for better views of Bluethroat and other local specialities. Using the car as a hide I managed to get ridiculously close to this Swallow. It posed beautifully as I papped about 30 photos!
Yellow Wagtail is a reliable tick in these parts and today was no exception. Driving slowly around the dykes allowed me to get pretty close.
I was on a roll and things got better when this territorial Sedge Warbler sung busily. I was pretty chuffed with the results...

I parked up next to a patch of reeds that was mentioned in a past trip report as being a good spot. I waited a good hour in hoping that something would show... A hobby flew over but my camera settings were all wrong. Two pairs of Stonechat flitted around. I also had more Sedge Warblers and a few Linnet. My patience eventually paid off. A Bluethroat perched briefly but once again the views were pretty poor.
With half an hour left before I need to set off back home I decided to explore a series of small dykes opposite the Pont de Dien picnic site. The habitat looked good and sure enough a stunning male Bluethroat popped up in front of me ! Get in !
What a great way to end the day. A classic view of a beautiful and scarce bird. With a huge smile I set off home more than happy with a top-quality birding session.




















































































































e

No comments:

Post a Comment

BUBO Listing www.bubo.org