Sunday, May 23, 2010

Nightjar Run

A perfect evening for Nightjars last night so I ran across Fritham Plain with my camera hoping to catch up with them again. The Forest was still alive with bird song at quarter past nine with Cuckoo and Dartford Warbler being the pick of the dusk chorus. There was also just enough light for me to pick out a Woodlark on the heath only a dozen yards from the track.

I reached the spot where I had heard a Nightjar churring in a few nights ago, and didn't have to wait too long. I picked out a ghostly shape in the distance heading straight towards me. The bird flew within a couple of metres of me - perhaps just checking me out, or perhaps mistaking my pale arms for the display of another male Nightjar? Either way, I wasn't complaining after great views of an elusive bird. After 5 minutes of quiet, I then heard the classic churring of a nearby Nightjar. Managed to glimpse the silhouette of a bird on a dead branch and catch a bit of video before it flew off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnoZtKQ31S8

As I ran back, I heard at least 2 more birds churring, and got reasonable views of another. They should be still around for the X-man's visit next week. Check out the video compilation of sights and sounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BUBO Listing www.bubo.org