Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Spinning Coin

There's some good birding to be had at the moment, let me tell you.

I went for my Sunday morning 'run' armed with bins and camera down from Telegraph Hill into Islands Thorns Enclosure. Running and birding is a great way to enjoy the New Forest wildlife and also get in a bit of exercise. Singing Skylarks and Meadow Pipits on the heathland and Blackcaps, Chaffinches, Willow Warblers, Chiffchaffs and a Redstart in the woods. I didn't stop for these. I was brought to a halt ten minutes later, though.

Either someone was spinning a very loud coin nearby, or this was a male Wood Warbler producing one of my favourite sounds of spring. I spent about half an hour watching and listening to him sing constantly, before continuing on www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2ragqnQqEc

There was another singing nearby, and whilst watching him, a pair of Cuckoos flew straight over me.

It's a real treat to see Wood Warblers. They're widespread in Europe, but away from the woodlands of Wales, there aren't many reliable places to see them in Britain. Even in the New Forest, they take some finding.

Other news: Little Owl yesterday at Penn Common and a Treecreeper on the garden list

No comments:

Post a Comment

BUBO Listing www.bubo.org