Saturday, May 15, 2010

Redstart Ramble

Dragged myself out of bed early this morning for a trek around Fritham. Starting from Pipers Wait, I walked down past Howen Bottom to Eyeworth Pond, then across Fritham Plain to Sloden and Alderhill Enclosure. Finally out onto Hampton Ridge and then back through Amberwood Enclousre. Left at 6 a.m. and didn't see another person till 10.

Thankfully, I did see lots of wildlife. There are Fallow Deer everywhere in the Forest and I saw at least 40 at different points. This group were at Howen Bottom. I soon forgot about the deer when I heard some interesting birdsong from a nearby copse. One culprit was a male Redstart, the first of 16 I managed throughout the morning. There was also the call of my first Spotted Flycatcher of the year.

The air was full of Skylark song, and Willow Warblers could be heard throughout the morning - I lost count after having 20 or so in the first hour. Eyeworth Pond had 5 male Mandarins and a Wood Duck amongst the commoner stuff.

I stopped for a magnificent showy Dartford Warbler on Fritham Plain and whilst watching it, picked up a pair of Cuckoos and a singing Tree Pipit. A few pairs of Stonechat and a dozen Linnet also on the edge of Sloden Enclosure. Inside the Enclosure, the Redstarts were piling up and I also picked up Yaffle, Great Spot, Goldcrests, a Grey Wagtail, another Spotted Fly and a fine male Siskin.

A single Garden Warbler and lots of Blackcaps on my way back over Hampton Ridge, and back home for 10.30. Not a bad mornings work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BUBO Listing www.bubo.org