Thursday, May 6, 2010

Warbler Neck

Only got a few months left in the New Forest so I'm trying to take advantage of the birding here whilst I can. Hence I took a little bird safari on the way back from work yesterday.

I drove to Nomansland via Boldrewood Ornamental Drive, where, with the windows down I soon picked up the song of many Blackcaps. A less eccentric warble caused me to stop the car and start scanning for a belated first Britsih Garden Warbler of the year. The bird was reasonably obliging and I had brief views of it flicking around some dense vegetation. Another Garden Warbler sang as I drove on to Boldrewood Car Park.

Plenty of Goldcrests singing high in the conifers, and as I strolled round I also picked up the calls of 3 Firecrests at various points. Easier to hear than see, though. I spent half an hour craning my head back trying to pick one out in the bins before succumbing to Warbler Neck - a classic birder's ailment. This, and realising how much work I had to do, caused me to cut short the Crest Challenge.

A couple of Stonechats and Linnets on the drive back over Stoney Cross. Also a few Redstarts scattered around Bramshaw Wood this evening. I had 6 singing males on my TTV visit at the weekend. Definitely one of my favourite birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BUBO Listing www.bubo.org